Saturday, May 07, 2005

CD Review: The Revenge of the Sith

Well, since this is the last Star Wars soundtrack, i thought I'd do something different and do a track-by-track analysis. Here it is:

1. "Star Wars and the Revenge of the Sith" (7:31): It opens with the traditional main title theme, supposedly the same one used in Phantom Menace and not a new recording. Then before it does its usual fade-out, the orchestral explodes into a rousing action cue that dominates the rest of the track. An energized version of the Force theme appears early into the track. I could swear that from time to time I could hear the fragments of the droid army theme or at least the arena/ pseudo-droid army theme. Listen for the miltaristic snare drum. It will also be used on later tracks like "Enter Lord Vader" and "Grievous and the Droids." A great example of "modern" Williams-style action cue and one of the best action cues from the prequels. 10/10

2. "Anakin's Dream" (4:46): This track is one of the only cues containing Across the Stars from the previous movie. It's beautifully rendered with stings at the beginning, leaving a more conventional version later on. There's also a quiet hint of the Force Theme. 7/10

3. "Battle of the Heroes" (3:42): Considered the "single" of the album and the only new major theme. I really hope that this is actually scoring part of the final duel rather than just a concert piece. I'm still convinced that the theme is a clever reworking of the Duel of Fates, but I lack the music background to support that. It's not as powerful as Duel nor as lyrical as Across the Stars but a very rousing piece none the less and the use of the Force theme over the chorus doesn't hurt. 7/10

4. "Anakin's Betrayal" (4:04): This track is very powerful especially when the chorus and the brass rise to an emotional peak. I read somewhere that it's a reworking on the Across the Stars, but I haven't heard it enough to make that connection yet. I've heard what sounds like fragments of the Force theme, but maybe that's from part of Across the Stars. The last minute or so is very haunting that slowly builds and then tapers off. 9/10

5. "General Grievous" (4:07): To a casual listener, this track may sound like a mess: just a jumble of percussion and brass, but upon closer listening, you can hear Williams weaving a satisfying action cue. Within it is what I believe to be the Grievous motif. (But more on that later.) The Force theme also briefly appears at the beginning in a low, almost dissonant tone. About a minute and half into it, it starts reminding me of Jurassic Park music. Those who aren't a fan of prequel non-thematic music will probably not like this. I love it. 8/10

6. "Palpatine's Teachings" (5:25): One of the two least liked tracks on album by most Internet reviewers. It starts off with about 90 seconds of low moaning, which I love because of my own love of ambient-techno-sounds and am glad to hear Williams going for a new sound. As the orchestral starts to join in, we can hear a brief cue from Darth Vader's theme and a slightly longer statement of the Force theme. The music sort of lingers until the end: a reprise of the approach to Naboo from the Phantom Menace. I like the beginning; I like the end; but the middle could do with some work. 6/10

7. "Grievous and the Droids" (3:28): This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. It begins with a great use of brass that quiets down very quickly. We then catch the briefest of hints of Luke's theme before the action music kicks back in. The deep brass puctuate what I believe is the Grievous motif. It persists until the end of the cue with another quiet rendition of the Force theme. I can't wait to see what part of the movie this is from. (I'm hoping the final battle between Obi-Wan and Grievous) 10/10

Well, this is about half of the album. I'll be back soon with what I think about the second half.

No comments: