Sunday, March 07, 2010

Elfman in Wonderland

I just read a review for the new Alice in Wonderland movie, in which the reviewer commented that Burton of '89 would made a far different and arguably better film. This comment may or may not be substantiated, but I know that the soundtrack is pure Danny Elfman of the 90s.

Alice's Theme was not what I was expecting, but definitely the highlight of the album. It's sadly the only theme in the score. I was worried that the music may be redundant what with all the tracks named Alice's Theme # 3 and so forth, but the variations on the theme are varied and most welcomed. Some of the underscore reminded me of vintage Elfman from the Batman Returns-Sommersby-Black Beauty era, but I can also see where people are comparing it with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Serenada Schizophrana are coming from.

I've only had to listen to the score a handful of times, but it's a strong showing for Elfman in '10.

No comments: