Thursday, January 06, 2011

Comments on Only Human Chapters 1-3

The only lasting comment I want known to the world is that I am very proud of the first page (5 paragraphs) as the opener of this story. Nothing that comes after that matters to me. Okay, it matters a little. It's a bit of an off-kilter sequel to "Forbidden Temple." Each story, I've found, following the introduction of the Brilliant 5, has less and less to do with them. The next story, I promise, will have more Rick Daring and the others. But for now, "Only Human" has its focus of the wonderfully unique character of Elizabeth "Zoey" Walker.

Edgar Rice Burroughs did this in his series as well. Introducing, and then deviating to, supporting characters such as Tarzan's son from the fourth volume, aptly titled "Son of Tarzan." Of course, I am not purposely emulating Burrough, but are writing the stories that need to be written.

One aspect of this story that I wanted to point out is that it takes place in the future. Zoey lives some odd centuries in the future from our "present day", and I know I haven't done much to emphasize this. Ten years ago, I could easily go on paragraph after paragraph on what the microwave of the future would be like. But I found this distracting when writing this story. The story is about Zoey, and everything else is background noise.

This is a very personal story, and, as such, is much different than what I've written before. It's more down to Earth and a straight drama. This means much slower paced opening chapters, but I hope that you commit to the story, because I believe you'll be rewarded in the end.

In either case, I enjoyed writing the story and spending some time with Zoey. Hopefully, someday, others will say the same.

No comments: