Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Supergirl by Rick Leonardi



I was listening to the "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" podcast and while doing so, I was playing around on Photoshop and colored this sketch by Rick Leonardi.  I'm not a huge fan of the 200X version of Supergirl's outfit, but I am a big fan of Rick Leonardi's art.

While coloring her costume, I was trying for some subtle hints at the character's femininity.  While her cape is a rich red color, the inside of the cape is a lighter, almost pinkish color. The blue in her outfit is a almost turquoise color. (I feel that Superman-related characters should have bright colors, not dark colors. Hollywood seems to disagree with me.) I also gave her a little pink on her lips and fingernails.

I also played a little with lighting on her shoulders and arms, but I'm not entirely sure if it works or not. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with how it looks.  Hopefully, Leonardi doesn't mind too much.

Oh, and Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: