Tuesday, June 03, 2014

My Letter to Mr. Del Toro

Dear Mr Guillermo del Toro,

First of all, I wanted to say that even I have not watched many of your films, for horror is not my favorite genre, those that I have watched are both visually and emotional vibrant.

Second, and the reason I'm writing this, is to apologize for not having more faith in your film, Pacific Rim.  Being a nod to kaiju and mecha shows from my youth, I was interested in seeing the film, but seemingly endless negative reviews dulled my interest.

Now, a year later, I have finally seen it and throughly enjoyed it. I daresay even more than the recent Garth Edwards Godzilla reboot/remake/whatever. That is because of the human element.  Whether it's because of your direction or the exceptional cast put together for Pacific Rim, the characters were much more relatable than the cardboard stand-ins from Godzilla 2014.

My one objection is that there is not much time with Charlie Day's and Burn Gorman's characters together. They have a great Ham/Monk relationship, and don't worry if you don't know what I'm talking about. I'd be happy to introduce you to the Doc Savage series as well.

In the DVD extras, you said that kaiju fights were a lot like wrestling matches, and wrestling matches aren't anything without personality. Pacific Rim, in my opinion, has personality to spare.

Thank you for your time and good luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

John M Emmons


No comments: